Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Conflicting Interests

I spend a good portion of my day on the web, often on my Google Reader looking at the news or looking for new ideas. I'm often bombarded with the latest technology that I think I need... often my computer takes a while for things to load and as my daughter is quickly approaching her sixth birthday I am reminded that my desktop computer is more than five years old. Thats archaic in technology terms. I'd love, love, love to have a new Mac book Pro. I'd also love to have the funds that would pay for it immediately. Credit card debt does not look attractive to me, well, not since college and definitely not right now. There are certainly days when I miss living in New Jersey with a job that more than paid the bills, but I also know that I was WAY STRESSED OUT and my thoughts were more often on my students in the classroom than my two lovelies that live in my house.

I'm back and forth on reading a book that was originally published in 1992 and because of the economy has come in vogue again, Your Money or Your Life. The basic principles are there- live within your means, you don't need to keep up with the Jonese, etc. I was going to try a book club that was using this book, but I'm trying to simplify in my life as well. This was something easy to cut with everything else that's going on.


That being said, my need/desire for a cell phone that works or at least has a signal is something I've been thinking about a lot. Do I simply upgrade to a similar phone that I know will actually work or do I go and purchase what I would love to have-- the iPhone. I'm sure I could figure out a way to actually swing the purchase of the iPhone, but it's the monthy fees that worry me. I KNOW I would NEED to check things on the Internet more often with it and would probably be racking up some serious charges. Every time I go to use my cell phone and it has no service I start for the Internet to order a new one but refrain because I'm not even sure I'll be employed next year. I know for sure one of my jobs will be obsolete. Thank goodness for the military. At least I know Tom's job is secure for now...


Did I mention that Wal Mart sells the iPhone now?

No comments: